Perfect popcorn is within your reach. The following material provides general best practices on how to use a rented popcorn machine. Before you use this equipment, please review the tips below and read all manufacturer warnings and instructions. Your local, ARA-affiliated rental store professional can provide you with complete instructions.
- Plug rented popcorn machine into only a grounded outlet of appropriate volts and amps.
- Do not cover the air intake and exhaust holes at the top of the rented popcorn machine.
- Do not touch kettle while it is hot.
- Always lift a rented popcorn machine by its base.
- Keep onlookers at an appropriate distance from rented popcorn machine.
- An adult should supervise the operation of the rented popcorn machine.
- Place the rented popcorn machine on a stable, level surface, such as a table or counter. To create a more attractive setting, rent a cart, stand or wagon specially designed for the popcorn machine.
- Set up the rented popcorn machine near a grounded, electrical source, so no extension cord is needed, unless approved by the machine’s manufacturer.
- Inspect rented popcorn machine to ensure all parts are in place.
- Plug in the rented popcorn machine. Then, turn on its kettle heat, kettle motor and exhaust switches.
- Begin with a test batch of popcorn. Place one measure of oil and three corn kernels in the kettle. When the kernels pop, place remainder of oil, measured corn and any flavorings in kettle. Close lid. Near the completion of the batch, turn off the kettle heat switch to eliminate smoke and odor. Do not leave the kettle heat switch on when not popping popcorn. Empty popcorn from the kettle when corn finishes its popping.
- Repeat process to create subsequent batches of popcorn.
- When finished using the rented popcorn machine, turn off its kettle heat, kettle motor and exhaust switches.
- Allow the rented popcorn machine to cool. Then clean it before returning it to the rental store to avoid additional fees. Follow any manufacturer instructions for cleaning. General cleaning instructions include:
- Unplug rented popcorn machine and remove kettle from it.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe the kettle, kettle lids, crossbar and exterior. Do not immerse items in water or place under running water.
- Remove popped corn and clean the inside of the rented popcorn machine.
- Remove and empty the pan containing kernels that did not pop — also known as “old maids” — and wipe it clean.
- Dry the rented popcorn machine and its parts thoroughly.
- Store popcorn kernels in an airtight container kept in a cool place to help them retain needed moisture.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your popcorn needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.