When renting a trencher, look for one that can fit where you need it to go and that can dig the needed size of trench. Read below for more details on what to look for when renting a trencher.
- Type. Rental trenchers come in various sizes and configurations. See The Many Sizes and Types of Rental Trenchers for more information on the different types of trenchers available to rent.
- Size. You should consider the amount of space available for using a rented trencher. Tight work areas may require you to rent a walk-behind trencher instead of a larger, ride-on trencher. Some small trenchers can fit through a 36-inch-wide gate.
- Digging depth and width. Before renting a trencher, you should know how deep and wide you must dig. You can commonly dig a trench from 12 to 48 inches deep and 3 to 16 inches wide using a rented walk-behind trencher. Most compact ride-on trenchers let you dig trenches about 48 inches deep and up to 12 inches wide, but some heavy-duty trenchers allow you to dig trenches as deep as 6 feet and as wide as 16 inches.
- Power source. Most of the walk-behind trencher rentals run on gasoline, whereas the larger, ride-on trenchers commonly use diesel.
- Hydrostatic- vs. mechanical-drive. Since rented hydrostatic-drive trenchers contain fewer moving parts than mechanical-drive trenchers do, they often have fewer breakdowns, which means less work downtime.
- Horsepower (hp). Since rented ride-on trenchers typically dig deeper than walk-behind trenchers, they require more horsepower. Horsepower for walk-behind trenchers ranges from 6 to 23 hp. Ride-on trenches often provide between 18 and 116 hp, depending upon the model.
- Backfill blade. Rental trenchers equipped with a backfill blade allow you to fill in the trench after placing the underground pipe or cable.
- Tracks. Although the majority of rental trenchers come with wheels, some models do use tracks to create a more, heavy-duty model.
Contact your local, ARA-affiliated, rental store for information on available rental products and services to meet your trencher needs. To locate the rental store nearest you, use the Rental Store Quick Locator above.